Saturday 26 June 2010

Some opinions we wanted to share


Ok so we have had quite a productive week, neither of us have jobs yet but we have had interviews or are returning for the follow up interviews. The pressure certainly is on... we are in a new surrounding... wanting to see new things but on a very tight budget. We will let you know how we get on job wise, but we will definitely be cutting spending down to a minimum, I guess using our money mainly on traveling, we don't have to be spending money to be seeing/doing something different!!!

The picture at the top is another one from our local park in Hiroo.

Anyway, there are a handful of things we have noticed since being here, and wanted to share with you guys...
  • People leave there bikes parked up all around the city and yet I haven't seen any bike chains at all.
  • The first time I saw a homeless person here I was shocked. I think because there seems to be no apparent class system in Tokyo its very hard to understand the massive gap from what someone would consider a homeless person, to maybe what they would consider working class.
  • Japanese ladies, are always carrying an umbrella whether it is to not get wet or to protect their skin for the sun
  • Everything is "cute" - restaurants with a photo of their food on the window with a smiley face, or a drug store which is practically pink the whole way through. Also, the dogs... hm maybe I'll start a new bullet point
  • The dogs here... it seems the smaller the better, honestly some of the dogs here are just the cutest thing you have ever seen!!! The crazy thing is though, their owners seems to treat them like their children... the dogs wear dresses, socks, bows or their heads... I mean we have seen a couple of time people walking around with shoulder bags, and a tiny dogs head poking out the top. (I'm gunna have to take a photo!!!) The most ridiculous thing we have seen so far though - there was a woman walking ahead of us with a tiny little poodle or something on a lead. She had stopped and bent down unzipping her bag. When we actually came to passing she had put the dog in her back, and was zipping it up!!! I was so shocked... I walked past staring with my mouth wide open!
 Another thing is I have never ever been so aware of wildlife as I am here, I was sat in Hiroo park on a rock very close to the large pond that is there... there was a terrapin sat on the end of the rock...  more terrapins swimming close by, ducks, pigeons, drangonflies, butterflies and fish. It's quite amazing!!!
This video below, was a quick film I took at the park when I realised that I was totally surrounded by wildlife... it was quite surreal... which too be honest, this who trip has been so far... I wonder at what point is this going to feel "natural".

    No comments:

    Post a Comment