Monday 27 December 2010

Sunshine City, Ikebukuro

So after Matt being here for 3 days - and we had kept him busy non stop... the 4th day had to kind of be a rest day didn't it! We all slept in 'til late morning, then got up and ready to head to Sunshine City for the sunset! This was one of the most important things that I wanted Matt to see!!!!! So I was kinda nervous hoping that he would think it was as amazing as I did!
The lift up to the observation tower is really a spectacle in itself... it goes from the basement to the 60th floor in only 35 seconds, after being greeted and waved off by the friendly staff, the lift is lit with UV lights, with shadows of unicorns flying around them coupled with that, there is a little dial at the top of the lift which tells you how fast you are going - reaching over 600meters per min!!!! We hadn't told Matt about the lift, I just asked Fran to take photos of his face... pretty good reaction I think!!!!
It wasn't as clear as I had hoped it would be (but some things are hard to live up to PERFECT expectations - I really am silly sometimes!!!) but we could see plenty!
We are looking out over Tokyo across all the way to Hakone. We couldn't see Mt. Fuji yet because the sun was completely blinding!
Chilling, watching the sunset behind Mt Fuji from the best seat in the house!

Fran with a sword and crazy Anime orange hair!
 We went up on the roof floor... the world looks so small from the 61st floor!!!!!

Back down in the lift! Sunshine City is a huge restaurant, cafe and shopping complex and it has lots to do.  There is a planetarium and an aquarium and some other stuff. We wanted to see the aquarium but unfortunately they are building a brand new huge one at the moment, so they only had a small selection of animals... still we spent about an hour there!!!!
These crabs were huge!!! We were all quite amazed by their size!!! But to be honest, I was a little shocked at how small their enclosure was... but... suppose they are getting a huge new home built for them... hopefully, not too much longer in that tiny space guys!!!
When we got to the back of the aquarium there was a counter with a few staff stood behind and there were cages with a tortoise, a small snake and a bearded dragon in. Also there were tanks with different fish swimming around... and you could touch them all! At first I was really reluctant to touch any of them... then I have no idea what changed but I just decided right I'm gunna do it, and before I knew it I was holding the snake! (I am really getting into pushing myself to do things I don't necessarily want to do... the feeling of success, the confidence and pride after the event is overwhelming!!)
I picked up the Snake, the Bearded Dragon (above) stroked the Tortoise, touched a Jelly Fish and a load of weird fish or bug like sea creatures! Then Matt joined in!!!!
We also tried out putted our fingers in the tank with the tiny little fish that are being used in spa treatments all over the world - their nickname is Doctor Fish as they are also being used to treat patients with skin disorders! They nibble away any dead skin you have... it was a very weird feeling!!!



The story of the day goes to Fran though! There were 3 tanks next to each other and they all had electric eels in, I said I was thinking of touching it because the lady told us it was safe! Fran said if you do it I'll do it, and put his hand in! We didn't even have time to take a photo... he jumped back after screaming a little ... and was like... yup that's an electric shock... haha! Needless to say I didn't put my hand in the tank! haha!
After that we got on the train and headed back and went to a BBQ restaurant near our apartment! It's like the official restaurant of Urawa Red Football Team and I'd wanted to go in there since we moved here!!! It was sooooooooooo delicious! We'll be going back there for sure!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment