Sunday 28 November 2010

Kinkaku-ji, The Golden Pavillion


After traveling for 8 hours from Tokyo then one and a half hours to Kinkaku-ji from Kyoto Station, we were soooooo happy to be stretching our legs and walking around and when we saw the beautiful autumn leaves, we soon forgot about the whole journey! I was so amazed by the colours... I looked at so many photos of Japan's autumn leaves before we went but nothing prepared me for actually how amazing they really are!!! 

I hadn't told Fran much about the places we were going to go, I showed him a few a photos before we went to see which places he would want to see, but when we got there I just told him the names of the places we were going, so it would be a surprise :-)

I knew we were going to see this but... wow! It really was a great place to start, somewhere really special to kick off our Kyoto sightseeing holiday! It was quite busy because it was a Sunday, yet it was still so peaceful and relaxing there.  There was a beautiful lake and loads of trees in reds, oranges, yellows and greens! Really stunning!

I was surprised to read that this temple had burnt down a number of times, and this temple was last built in 1955. The top two stories are covered in gold leaf. It really was stunning!!!

There were work men raking up the red leaves around the temple grounds, aren't they doing a good job, and the green ground looked like velvet - just beautiful!


2 comments:

  1. very nice, my father had a calender of the golden pavillion showing it from the same angle that you took it in all the different seasons hanging in his room for as long as i can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shin! what a lovely comment !!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete