Saturday 28 August 2010

30th Asakusa Samba Carnival 2010



Well, what can I say, I had a well and truly GREAT (and knackering) day, I was teaching in the morning which meant setting off pretty early to get there! Then from school I went to Asakusa. I was sat on the train and it was pretty empty so I was think ah... maybe it won't be too busy, maybe it isn't as big as everyone was making out, and I was getting pretty excited about being able to take some awesome photos. I stepped off the train and walked to the exit only to hit a GRID LOCK of people trying to get in and out of this small exit/entrance of the subway station. All I was thinking was... at what point am I going to get out of this ridiculous crowd? After 5 mins of being right in the middle of it, being pushed from every direction there was no way I was going to be able to turn around and find my way back to the exit.. I didn't mind it, and I didn't panic (which I would have definitely done a year ago, hell - 4 months ago even!!!) the only thing I didn't like was when there was a small child or a small elderly person around you, because I didn't want to crush them - and it was hard work pushing against the crowd of people pushing you in the opposite direction!!!!!!



Eventually (after a good half hour - 45mins) I managed to squash myself in with the crowd that were stood still watching the parade! I couldn't see anything - there were a good few rows of people in front of me... ALL taller than me too! I stood there for a bit standing on my tip toes to see if I could see anything! I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around and an elderly Japanese man said hello to me and grabbed my shoulder and pushed me infront of him pointing at the parade through a big gap between the peoples head - as he had a good view, and bless him for the next half an hour he kept moving me infront of him when he had a good view so I could see and take photos!!! I really appreciated it, I wished I could have had a conversation with him!!! Really longing to be able to speak Japanese at the moment!!!! I'm trying to soak up as much as I can and I am learning at quite a fast pace I think... though still I can listen and understand alot more than I can speak!!! A couple moved from the front of the crowd and the elderly gentlemen pushed me saying "sumi masen" (excuse me) and moving people out the way... I felt very awkward being pushed, but when I finally got to the front I couldn't of thanked him enough, I had the best spot.



 I didn't have to sit down on the floor with the other photographers (they would get photos from the people from underneath which... lets face it - isn't a good look for anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!) and also I was in the shade the WHOLE time - which is so lucky as it was 38degrees!!! I stood there for a good 3 hours watching each group dance, sing and perform infront of us!!! I thought it was truly fantastic and I couldn't stop smiling at some of the silly costumes people had on! So that's enough waffle... here are some of the photos - they speak for themselves!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment