Monday 16 August 2010

Fukagawa Hachiman Festival in Monzen-Nakacho

I have been wanting to go to another festival since the last one I saw in Hiroo. This was a different type of Festival, this was a  festival honoring the Shinto God of war - Hachiman. When I got there there were seats laid out, and a stage to the right of the Temple. There were lots of stall that wern't open. I had gotten there WAY too early! hehe, I had a mooch around taking photos, saw a pretty awful bug and ran away from it (aw usual) but I heard chanting... so I followed the noise. I got there just in time for the very begining of the festival!
I saw these guys before the water was thrown! There at least 30 people dressed in short robes with white shorts (my god that was a bad idea when they were soaking wet!!!) They lifted up this wooden frame which held a Mikoshis (Miniature Shrine) balancing carefully on top. They were chanting and they walking up and down this long road. Every 100m distance (aprox!) there were buckets of water on the side of the road were there were a few kids and their parents waiting to chuck water of these guys and the shrine! I still haven't found out why... I'm working on it though!
It was so great to be there and take photos. I felt very privileged to see and be a part of their tradition. The festival actually lasts all weekend and this was at the very beginning at 3oclock on a Friday afternoon, so there were only a handful of people watching. I didn't go back for the rest of the weekend but I have heard it can be crazy busy!



As they were walking up and down the same road I though I would head to were they were GOING to be, so I could get some great head on shots. On my way, I came across a pet shop, mainly selling birds. But I was quite shocked by the amount of birds that had been squashed into one cage. Also, when I went inside there was a very small plastic box filled with baby terrapins (like the one we had found on the floor when we very first got here!)




























I didn't exactly want to take a photo of this site cuz it really shocked me, but I said I was doing this to record our journey... and well I guess that's what I'm doing! I spoke to one of my students and he informed me this wasn't a common sight, and that I would only see this in very few places.

Anyway, back to the festival I got sooooooo many photos so please look through my flickr page They took a break, and there were some ladys handing out drinks and water melon to the guys and gals who had carried the shrine. They even gave me a piece of water melon! How nice is that!!!! :-D I felt honored!

I walked back to the Temple and there was a mini play going on, on the stage next to the temple. There were about 6 children taking part in a play of a traditional Japanese story (I think) dressed up as Geishas and Samurais. It was so cute! I just wish I could of understood it!



I had a really great time taking photos. I think there are over 100 photos haha!!!!

Just a little weather report... WE ARE MELTING!!!!!!!!! The last couple of days have been unbearable! Because it has been so cloudy there is actually NO break from the heat. At least when there are no cloud you can either be in the sun or in the shade and there is a big difference. We are both hoping the weather doesn't stay like this!!! And so far on the earthquake front... we have felt a total of ZERO earthquakes!!

1 comment: