Saturday 24 July 2010

Hiroo Obon Festival




























I went to visit Dave and KT in Hiroo for the Obon Festival. The Obon Festival is a Japanese Buddhist tradition to honor the spirits of those who have passed. It has been celebrated for more than 500 years and has evolved into a family reunion holiday which lasts for 3 days. I was really hoping that I would see a community celebrating together and I wasn't disappointed! To tell you the truth, I was blown away by the whole thing. The sound of the music, the dancing, the excitement from the little ones, the look of pride on the parents faces as they watched their little child in their traditional Japanese clothing enjoying taking part in the dance, watching the elderly look with so much love for their family. I could go on... but I have never just never seen anything like it in my life... apart when I have been with my family. The whole event just felt like a massive family and even though I wasn't part of that family, I still felt that I was welcomed. Here are a few photos that literally take the words out of my mouth...



I took a couple of videos to so that you guys could watch the dancing and listen to the music, it was very relaxed and everyone was joining in the dance on the floor. One lady came up to me with her little girl (who had obviously said something to her mum about asking me to dance with them) clinging around her waist and asked me if I wanted to join in the dancing (not directly - a few japanese words - a few english words a few hand gestures) I smiled and replied Thank you, but its ok (in Japanese). They lingered around us for a minute or so and then joined back in the dance, as the little girl walked away she waved at us. It was adorable.


The drumming was the only part of the music that was live at this festival- which I thought it would of been great it if it had all been live, but the drummers were really fascinating!









I only noticed this lady towards the end but she was dancing close to the staging area and showing people how to do the steps, It was great. Luckliy for me this next month is FULL of festivals all over Tokyo... Next week Shinjuku!!!! Here is Dave and KT enjoying the festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment