Friday 23 July 2010

Sunset over Shinjuku












 I got to Shinjuku just in time for the gorgeous "orangy/pinky" sunset. It was extremly busy there! An estimated 3.5 million people pass through Shinjuku station every day, making it the busiest train station in the world!!! So I've gone from being completely rubbish at going on quiet English trains to being able to tackle the world busiest trains... haha. That's what I would call a good 6 weeks of progress :-D
No one seemed phased by the amazing orange colour coming from the sky... No one even really looked up. I felt like a total cliché - A forgein photographer in Tokyo!!! Sigh! I'm am finding things a little tough at the moment... when I am walking alone and I walk past another westerner there is a weird staring competition kind of thing only for a split second. Also, we went and say in a cafe a couple of weeks back, both me and Fran had taken our books to read and just chill, but we have got used to not being able to understand anyone around us, so there is no need to try and block the noise out - like if I were in a cafe in England. I think it was going to be weird going back maybe for a few days just because of this! When we were sat in the cafe there were two American guys, it was obviously an interview situation and the interviewer had a really loud voice (again - I'm guessing if he has been here a while that he is used to being able to say what he likes at what ever level he likes because there are more people here that don't speak English than people who do). We had to leave because there was no way we could concentrate on our books!!!
I met a BIG Hello Kitty!!! Fran is going to come back with me again so I can have my photo taken with her!!!! AMAZING!!! I really enjoyed Shinkuku but I wasn't there for long enough, I would like to go for the day! because I only saw a very small part! Here are some examples of the beautiful Japanese Skies that we see every day.





 I also visit the Hanazono-jinja Shrine. I was walking on the wrong side of the road looking for it, when I heard a load of singing, I thought it was someone playing music loud in their car but as I got closer (and crossed over!) there was a musical theatre performance going on opposite the Shrine in what looked like a semi permanent big hut with cloths covering the sides, I could see through a gap in the sheets some of the performance. There were about as many people in the production as there were audience - but every seat was filled! 
Any place in Tokyo is amazing to see at night, but this was unbelievably spectacular!!! I would definitely recommend this as a place to see if you come to Tokyo. I know I'm going back!

1 comment:

  1. "I walk past another westerner there is a weird staring competition kind of thing only for a split second"
    This really struck a chord with me. I know exactly what you mean. This blog of yours is really great to read. I look forward to each post. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete